AIPA ( ASEAN Inter-Parliamentary Assembly )
ASEAN Inter-Parliamentary Assembly (AIPA) is a regional parliamentary organization. It was originally formed on September 2, 1977 as the ASEAN Inter-Parliamentary Organization (AIPO) by the leaders of the parliamentary delegations of Indonesia, Malaysia, the Philippines, Singapore and Thailand attending the Third ASEAN Inter-Parliamentary Conference in Manila, Philippines.
In 1995, Viet Nam became a AIPO member, followed by Lao People's Democratic Republic in 1997, Cambodia in 1999, and Brunei Darussalam in 2009.
At the 27th AIPO General Assembly held in Cebu City, Philippines in 2006, there was a consensus to transform the organization into a more effective and closely integrated institution and to change the organization's name from AIPO to AIPA.
There are 10 member of parliaments and 12 observer parliaments of AIPA.
Facebook Link: AIPA Facebook
Member Parliaments of AIPA
(1) National Assembly of Vietnam
(2) National Assembly of Lao PDR
(3) National Legislative Assembly of Thailand
(4) National Assembly of the Kingdom of Cambodia
(5) House of Representatives of Malaysia
(6) Parliament of Singapore
(7) Legislative Council of Brunei Darussalam
(8) House of Representatives of Philippines
(9) House of Representatives of Indonesia
(10) The Republic of the Union of Myanmar The Pyidaungsu Hluttaw
Observer Parliaments of AIPA
(1) House of Commons (Canada)
(2) The European Parliament
(3) House of Representatives of Belarus
(4) The Lok Sabha ( House of the People ) of India
(5) The National People Congress of China
(6) The National Diet of Japan
(7) National Parliament of Papua New Guinea
(8) House of Parliament of Australia
(9) House of Representatives of New Zealand
(10) Federal Assembly of the Russian Federation
(11) National Assembly of South Korea
(12) National Parliament of Timor Leste
Organizations cooperating with the AIPA
- ASEAN Secretariat
- Inter-Parliamentary Union
- Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit
- Hanns Seidel Foundation
AIMS AND PURPOSES of AIPA
The aims and purposes of AIPA shall be:
(1) to promote solidarity, understanding, cooperation and close relations among parliaments of ASEAN Member States, other parliaments and parliamentary organisations;
(2) to facilitate the achievement of the goals of ASEAN as constituted in the ASEAN Declaration of August 1967 made at Bangkok, Thailand, as well as the ASEAN Vision 2020 taking into account Bali Concord II 2003 leading to the realization of an ASEAN Community based on three (3) pillars: ASEAN Security Community (ASC), ASEAN Economic Community (AEC) and ASEAN Socio Cultural Community (ASCC);
(3) to establish and maintain exchange and dissemination of information as well as coordination, interaction and consultations with ASEAN to offer parliamentary contributions to ASEAN integration and familiarizing the peoples of ASEAN with policies aimed at accelerating the realization of an ASEAN community;
(4) to study, discuss and suggest solutions to problems of common interest and express its views on such issues with the aim of bringing about action and timely response by the members of AIPA;
(5) to keep all AIPA member Parliaments informed of steps taken and progress achieved by each Parliament in realization of the aims and purposes of AIPA;
(6) to promote the principles of human rights, democracy, peace, security and prosperity in ASEAN
Structure of AIPA
The Secretariat Office, the General Assembly, the President of AIPA, the Executive Committee and the other Committees are in the AIPA.
Committee Matters of AIPA
There are 5 committee matters of AIPA. They are WAIPA Matters, Political Matters, Economic Matters, Social Matters and Organisational Matters.
WAIPA Matters (Matters of the Women Parliamentarians of AIPA)
The Women Parliamentarians of AIPA (WAIPA) was established in 1998 as a branch of AIPA. The meeting of WAIPA was held at the yearly AIPA General Assembly and its chaired by one of the women parliamentarians of the host country.
The Political Matters was a matters of the committee matters of AIPA. The meeting of Political Matters was held at the yearly AIPA General Assembly and its chaired by one of the Leader of Delegations of the host country.
The Economic Matters was a matters of the committee matters of AIPA. The meeting of Economic Matters was held at the yearly AIPA General Assembly and its chaired by one of the Member of Delegations of the host country.
The Social Matters was a matters of the committee matters of AIPA. The meeting of Social Matters was held at the yearly AIPA General Assembly and its chaired by one of the Member of Delegations of the host country.
The Organisational Matters was a matters of the committee matters of AIPA. The meeting of Organisational Matters was held at the yearly AIPA General Assembly and it’s chaired by one of the Leader of Delegations of the host country.